Naturally when windows 10 arrived on the scene i went ahead and upgraded my laptop, i noticed afterwards that it stopped automatically connecting to any of my known wireless networks i thought initially this may be driver related but after installing the latest drivers and checking permissions related to the WLAN Autoconfig service i was still left manually connecting to my wireless networks.
In addition in the above picture you can see in point 2 that the connected wireless network displays as a physical network connection. I was stumped, that was until i domain joined some tablets that recently had been purchased with Windows 10, strangely the problem occurred on these too. It was at this point i realised this was policy related, After further investigation no settings were jumping out at me. All except one, a group policy preference was configured to set the windows firewall service to Manual, to see if this made any difference i set it back to automatic, ran gpupdate /force and restarted the laptop.
Low and behold, my wireless was already connected at the logon screen. It seems that Windows 10 and Wireless network auto join are intrinsicaly linked. So in summary a lesson is to disable the windows firewall using the correct policy.
To disable the Windows Firewall by Policy the correct way:
Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Network/Network Connections/Windows Firewall/Domain Profile/Windows Firewall: Protect all network connections: Disabled
Aidan Finn has a great blogpost that can help some folks remedy installation issues with Windows Intune! Note as per the blog post, after i configured WPAD my connectivity issues had gone away.
Note to configure Option 252 on a Microsoft DHCP Server you will need to follow this guide:
In the last number of years many businesses have started rolling out Full Disk Encryption software throughout their IT Environment’s enabling piece of mind and security to prevent Data Loss / Theft, but this introduced many different issues for IT Administrators in general. Later iterations of Encryption products allowed “Maintenance” windows to be implemented as apart of policies so pc’s could have software updates installed and rebooted to complete.
After uninstalling Google Chrome it seems outlook has decided to have a complex about it, when clicking a link in an email I get the following message:
It turns out, it’s a pretty common error after uninstalling chrome http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Chrome/thread?tid=4c894d24ab6fac2d&hl=en
The fix is relatively easy:
1. Click Start, click Run, type Regedit in the Open box, and then click OK.
2. Locate the following subkey: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Classes\.html
3. On the File menu, click Export.
4. In the Export Registry File dialog box, enter HKCU_Classes_HTML_Backup.reg and click Save.
Note: This will create a backup of this registry key in the My Documents folder by default.
5. Right click the (Default) value for the .html key and select Modify…
6. Change the value from “ChromeHTML” to “htmlfile”
Its odd given the age of the problem that this isnt included in the chrome uninstall.
Recently, i have had the pleasure of working on some very challenging items across a whole slew of products and operating systems; I came across a particular problem one day in relation to Internet Explorer settings for IE7 and IE8. The problem was around authentication with internal websites, several sharepoints and internal web farms kept prompting for credentials despite being in the trusted sites zone.
My phone is important to me, its an invaluable work tool when out of the office for tracking email, meetings and requests, it does all my personal stuff as well like Facebook, Email and day to day calls and texts; Its important for me therefore to have a phone that can be an invaluable tool to balance my hectic work life balance.
Yes, its possible and it works pretty well! I like doing youtube videos but i don’t like sitting for hours waiting for it to upload (this is ireland afterall 35k/sec upload!) so after some thought and research i didnt really find anything Windows Based that i could stick in a scheduled task on my file server and leave run overnight, lots of stuff for cURL but Windows nada (i could of possibly gone cURL for windows, but where’s the fun in that ).
From MS Exchange Team Blog:
Recently Apple released iOS 4 (the new name for the operating system that runs on iPhones, iPod touches, and iPads). Since its release there have been numerous reports (link, link, link) of a number of issues with new iPhone 4s (and older iPhone models running the updated software version) when using Exchange ActiveSync (EAS). I wanted to put up a quick posting about what issues users may be seeing and what we’re doing about it.
One of my biggest worries about running my fathers business’s Sharepoint (WSS) and Exchange (Packaged with SBS 2003) is the element of Backing up and Expandability. I always fear the day that i would get the dreaded phonecall (you know the one that all Administrators dread) in which email is offline or the sharepoint is offline / missing files. I have been lucky to date in that ive only had one failure in which i was able to use a backup to restore everything.